Mar 25, 2017

Hard Drive Panic

OH NOES!! I just realized what the lifespan of a typical hard drive is. Here is a hint, my drives are ready to fail any second now.

Just for your own reference, the typical life of a normal hard drive is around 4 years. At that time there is a 20% failure rate. That doesn't mean your hard drive is going to take a dump after 4 years, but  it starts to get a bit shaky after that time.  The longer you go past that, the greater chance of an "oopsie" moment. There is good news; the price of hard drives is way low. At the time I am writing this Amazon.com has: 320 GB one for twenty bucks. That might seem like a small drive, but with so much information in the cloud & streamed nowadays it is probably enough for most people. If you need more space, they also have a 1 TB drive for fifty dollars.

So what am I getting at here, & (as usual) why do you care? I think I have a solution to these drive problems & I will share them with you.

GET NEW DRIVES!!!!!

Seriously, if your drives are over 3 years old, it's time to think about upgrading. You can take your old hard drives, after you copy the data to the new ones, & store them in a safe location. An unplugged hard drive will last for quite a while, so it is a good way to have an extra backup.

  • This might be a great time for a new SSD, before they get more pricy.
  • It would also be a great time for a new/different OS, or just a refresh of your current one.
  • It would also be a good addition to your 3-2-1 backup system.*
  • You could format your new drive for dual boot.**
  • You could use my awesome partition system.***

Whatever you chose to do, don't delay. I lost a Maxtor drive (why did they ever go out of business?) with all of my video footage I was editing once with no backup & I was a wee bit pissed to say the least. Save yourself the headache & hassles before it's too late.




*  Backups in 3 locations, 2 types of media, 1 offsite backup.
**  Create an NTFS partition for Win, a blank one for Linux, a 2GB for swap & 1 for your data.
***  I like to set a partition for Win (around 30GB) & use the rest of the drive for data, that way if I need to restore or replace the OS my data partition is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment